Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The last day is the first day

Thursday, March 8, 2012, was my last day working at my 'real job'. For six years I have worked with students and financial aid. I did not train for this job, my degree and my background are in art. I started in financial aid because I was not making a living with art (and was frankly burned out on making art) and I was tired of working low paying jobs with no benefits. I needed a stable job with benefits and the financial aid office was the first to offer me a job.

There is a lot I have enjoyed about financial aid- working with people, lots of problem solving and you always saw new things. The downside is often the people were mad at you (for things you have no control over) and very nasty, there constant problems, and the new things you saw were generally heart-breaking. It is a thankless job. And it was just too much for me.

So yesterday was the first full, official day of this new life. I work fulltime at a quilt shop and the plan is for me to finish the quilts I've started and to make more. I hope to be able to make some income from selling pieces and from lessons. I LOVE teaching, especially things like sewing and knitting. Hopefully there is a longarm machine in my future as I really love quilting on one. But that big investment is something to think about later.

That's a fair amount of rambling for now. I'm on my day off so I best do some cleaning and sewing. I love this feeling of physical exhaustion (from standing and walking all day at the shop, rather than sitting all day) and excitement (since I'm not so spiritually drained from work). I have a beautiful spring day today and I'm going to take advantage of it.

I do also want to say a huge thanks to my partner, my love. I could not do this without him. Literally. I couldn't have given up so much financial security without him offering it to me. And thanks to my amazing supportive family and friends. They've cheered this decision on and told me I'm not crazy. I may be crazy but it's nice to hear I'm not.

I'm off. Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment