Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Goings on around here

In the precious few moments of peace we've had I've been letting my creative juices flow. I did get to make the trip to Hampton for the Midatlantic Quilt Festival and I started a new sweater for hubby with some wonderful local wool yarn from Carodan farm. It's knitting up quick and is a joy to work with. And check out the new rug- love it!
local wool knitting
Knitting with some delicious local wool.

I've been playing a lot with the mini-charm packs from Moda. I had one I won at Sewing Summit, bought one at Midatlantic and have been getting them from work too. It's such a good way to get a mix of fabrics for $5! And working small makes the challenge of writing up a patter and calculating yardage that much easier.  I won't bother with a tutorial on making a wonky star since there are a bout a million of them out there ( like here, here and here for example) but I will be teaching a class at Cottonwood on the technique and making them into an easy fun little pillow case.
 

star pillow class work
Wonky Star pillow sample for a class at work
And lastly for today, here is Sid sampling the Field Notes Dandelion Basket quilt I made for the shop. It will be mine when the shop is done with it! It's lovely and was actually really easy. It has Y-seams but they were really easy, with the right technique. Also machine applique for the handles. It's 90% quilted and I just have to finish it. Soon, soon...
 

basket quilt applique quilting
Sid checking out the beautiful basket quilt for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment