Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

It's been a while...

Designing and writing quilt pattern
Designing a Shattered Star quilt for Garrity Jane.
So it's been about 4 weeks. It feels like it's been 3 days since I last looked at this blog. Life is moving so so fast. We had the Midatlantic Quilt Festival, the largest show in our region. I worked a lot of days to help cover the shop and all of my days off have been working on our house to get it listed for sale. 

But life is slowing down a little. I'm feeling very creative and inspired lately. Lots of sketching and projects started. I must finish things but I'm really enjoying starting projects and being so excited about them. Above, I'm designing a quilt for a friends daughter. I love star shapes in quilts. This is fun mixing the blue in where I would normally use black or white. It is bright and fun but I don't think it's childish. I hope she agrees  : )

Here is some of the actual fabrics. It's done with two charm packs (I used one On Deer! by MoMo for Moda and one Simply Color by V and Co. for Moda) and a solid background (I used Bella Solids Sea from Moda).  I love the movement and energy of the colors and quilt.


I love half square triangles and star quilts- they are meant to go together!

 And I started another project, of course. The second I saw the Sunrise Baby quilt sew-a-long on the We All Sew blog I knew I HAD to make it. So cute and beautiful and dramatic. Her straight line quilting is also amazing.  I'm sad I didn't get to see her actual quilts at QuiltCon but I'm excited to learn her technique. I chose colors to closely follow her color scheme but went with batiks.

My colors for the Sunrise baby quilt sew-a-long.

No comments:

Post a Comment