Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First skirt


The lovely Jessica modeling her accidentally-custom skirt.


I made this skirt! Thing is, it did not fit me AT ALL. Looking at it I thought it might fit a co-worker. Apparently I custom made it for her. It fits exactly. I love how things work out sometimes. I was so disappointed in myself for getting so many things wrong. I didn't (and perhaps don't still) really know what I was doing. I didn't fold things when I should have, I messed up the waist band so I just sewed a couple of rounds on it, part of it is sewn with cotton thread and some with polyester. But it ends up being a great gift for a friend.



After I bought my first bundle of fat quarters I also bought Sew Serendipity to learn some basics of making clothes. I love her relaxed approach to making some cute clothes. I may have been a bit ambitious but I'm just not really afraid of trying things out. Worst is they are ugly or don't work. It's pretty safe when it's just fabric and yarn. So have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment