Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Inspired by Colcha

Colchitas Bonitas- or 'pretty blankets' in Spanish. I hope to catalog my adventures in quilting and sewing. Perhaps I can offer inspiration or courge for fellow newbies.

This blog is actually named after a sweet set of kittens. Colcha, on the bottom, and Manita, on top, had FIV (Feline immunodeficiency virus; cat aids) and only lived about a year. But they had so much love to give and so much life to live in that year. This is them in a box the day I brought them home.

Colcha is Spanish for 'quilt' and she was named that for her patchwork, calico fur. Manita means 'little hand' or 'little sister' in Spanish. She was named this because she was clearly the little sister who needed supervision. She also had a gimpy front arm that we thought would need amputation. She healed and didn't have to lose her arm.

These girls were my beautiful little kitties. I hope I have as much in me to give to life as they did.

2 comments:

  1. adorable little ones! i'm happy to have another way to follow (and learn from) your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling little kitties--they were so sweet.

    ReplyDelete