As requested, here are some kitchen progress shots. The recent progress shots of the wall over the sink. We re-did (aka tore apart and rebuilt) another wall last year. But I won't get into that whole pickle. At this rate we'll have a done kitchen in about... 10 years.
Shot one: As you can see there is (was) one big cabinet in the middle of the sink wall and another not quite in the corner. I should perhaps explain the weird little corner. The kitchen is not original to the house. Yes, you read that correctly. The kitchen is not original to the house. When the house was build sometime in the early twentieth century (approximately the 1920's but there is no record of the house being built) it was just a room on top of another room, with a stove in the downstairs. The kitchen was added around the 1920's so that weird bump out is the outside of the chimney. This picture was actually taken from our only bathroom. Yes, it's in the kitchen. And it was added in the 1960's. 1960's!!!! It's so hard to imagine but it's true. This house originally had no plumbing at all. Wow.
Anyway, that's some history about our house and our kitchen. And perhaps explains why it's so much work and so much that needs to be done.
Shot two: we cleared out all the cabinets and placed it in the backroom that I use for sewing. The backroom was originally a porch, added in the 1980's? Then it was an enclosed porch. Then enclosed as a room. It's very poorly constructed and the roof nearly killed us a few years ago. But that's another story for another time.
So this is the wall space ready for actual storage capacity. And also Toots the cat.
And you can see my Fiestaware on the plate rack. I bought that plate rack on craigstlist a few years ago and have been carrying it around, looking for the perfect place to show off my colorful dishes. I love those dishes- half were a gift from my mother and half from my mother-in-law Ellen. I love it!!! I'll have to get some sets of white Fiestaware for Adam- he refuses to eat of colored dishes unless completely necessary.
So that's the tour for now. I will hopefully get the shelves painted and finished on my days off this weekend.
...get everything all-up-ons that unit!
ReplyDelete