Colchitas...Colcheras...Colchas...all things quilts


Or pretty little blankets. Colcha is the Spanish word for blanket or coverlet. It's the closest word for quilt and the one I have most commonly heard. A colchita is a blanket or a little quilt. A colchera is a quilter.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Harvey is making it difficult to sew. That fluffy belly yearns to be petted. And the view of Adam in the yard is nice too.


This picture also reminds me of the extra work I have to go through sometimes sewing with cats. We have 5 cats. Indoor cats. That's a lot of cats. In a teeny tiny house. When we moved in together and combined households it wasn't fair for anyone to loose a home just because it was a little crowded. But, thanks for Feliway and lots of attention all around, we're a pretty happy family. (Plus the two large dogs but they don't bother me much when I'm sewing.)

But back on track... sewing is full of cat toys. The thread, the shiny needles, the quilts to lay on, the pattern pieces. It's a cat's version of heaven. My version of heaven, not so much. I have had to learn little tricks to keep them distracted from what I'm doing.

The biggest problem I have by far is that they want to lay on my quilt as I'm quilting it so I keep my first practice quilt I ever made around. It has also been my warm up quilt before I do a larger piece. Something about pulling out a different piece of fabric and putting it down on a table makes it a magical cat magnet. I estimate a 99% success rate of cat butt to newly put down fabric. It's useful for any sewing I'm doing but especially quilting.

I haven't figured out how to keep them out of the thread and to keep all the needles on the tables yet but I will. Or please leave any tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment